Every driver should have the skill of knowing how to check their motor oil. Frequent monitoring of your engine oil can help you catch engine issues early on so that you don’t end up with costly repairs. If you want your engine to last, please remember to routinely check and replenish your engine with clean oil.
Inspecting your motor oil can be as easy as pumping gas or changing your wiper blades. Read on to learn the step-by-step process of checking your engine oil with the dipstick.
- Step 1 - Park your vehicle on an even ground service so that the oil is evenly distributed.
- Step 2 - Switch off your engine and wait for the motor to cool down.
- Step 3 - Open the hood and locate the dipstick. The oil dipstick is sometimes yellow or orange with a hood or ring that you can pull on.
- Step 4 - Remove the dipstick and wipe it well with a paper towel or rag.
- Step 5 - Put the dipstick back in, and remove it once more.
- Step 6 - The oil dipstick should have markings or indicators that show the desirable level range that your engine oil should be at.
- Step 7 - Examine the oil color, level, smell, and texture. If it shows signs of contamination or an unusual texture, it may be time for an oil change. The oil may also be super dark, which is another sign that your car is due for service.
- Step 8 - Return the dipstick to its position and close the hood.
Monthly oil checks are a great habit to get into. If your automobile is ready for an oil and filter change, look no further than Chicane Motorsport in Olathe, KS. Please give us a call or visit soon!